Exactly one week from now we will have boarded the plane in Atlanta ready to fly to Chicago, Frankfurt, then St. Petersburg. We're getting very excited and a little nervous all at the same time. We know more about what to expect navigating St. Petersburg, but we are still a little uncertain about how to prepare for the weather on this trip - we have been told it could get down to -20 degrees. We have been loaned coats, gloves, hats, etc. (thank you!) and we each went out and bought a pair of boots that should keep our feet warm and dry. Jack's suit is at the cleaner's and we are laying out "court" clothes and trying to mentally prepare for the interrogation we will receive in court. Did you know we will actually have a "prosecutor" there? And we will each be questioned separately. We are praying for a quick court hearing and that our judge will show us favor and not be difficult about our religious beliefs or anything else. Court should last from 30 minutes to 2 hours (we are hoping 30 minutes!). I'm going to get my hair cut tomorrow - I'll be asking for something "sophisticated" - this will probably be the most important day in court we will ever have!
We have a conference call with staff from our adoption agency tomorrow about details for our trip. We have a list of expenses, things to bring, tons of paperwork and just little a logistical web of details! As Faith says, we will be "ironing" money soon - I'll be calling the bank to see if they can have "new" money ready for us next week, but we may have to iron it like we did last time. We will be taking a laptop this time since we're staying in a hotel and we will be so glad to have more time to be online blogging and it should be easier to post pictures on this trip! Other interesting items we'll take: lots of granola bars, toilet paper (they don't always have that!), photo album of our family (for the judge), power of attorney from Jack to me, rubles from our last trip, gifts to other children in Anya's orphanage from their families here, a power converter, passports with visas, a copy of our homestudy (we will be studying this on the plane to make sure we know how to answer the judge), a video camera with recorded messages to Anya from her family here... just to name a few. How is it that we are suppose to "pack light"???
I spoke to Anya briefly Monday. I called right at dinner time... not sure if the schedule has changed because I've always called at that time. She said to call an hour later next week. She wanted to know how many days until we would be there. I told her we would see her in 11 days and she said it was getting closer! She also said she received the shoes we sent her - they fit & she likes them. She didn't really seem herself, but she was being told to go to dinner, so that may be why. I asked her if everything was okay and she said "I don't know". Hopefully, she will be in better spirits next week.
I'll try to post an update right before we leave next week and then we will post every evening in St. Petersburg when we get back to our hotel (should be by 1PM here). Thank you all for your support & your prayers over us.
Christmas hosting
-
For anyone following this blog but not our family mission blog, you can
read all about our time with Sergeis during our mission trip to Latvia at
www.thehe...
16 years ago









No comments:
Post a Comment