We got to the orphanage just after 11AM and the class bell was ringing. We were told the kids should start running down the stairs for snack - and sure enough, just a couple of minutes later, Anya came in. She ran over and jumped up to hugs us. She was so excited to see us! She looks great! Her hair is growing longer and she seems to be doing really well. It's almost 2 AM, so I'll be as brief as possible so I can get some sleep & then I'll leave you all with several pictures from today. Of course Anya wanted to take a friend today and the social worker approved it. After copying my passport, me signing a letter in Russian, and being handed the hand of a little girl we were off to the city with Anya and another little girl named Nastya (not our Nastya). The social worker also told us that Nastya would like to be adopted (any takers?). In the paper we signed, we were also given permission to take our Nastya with us tomorrow. Then on Sunday, it will just be Anya. The girls were a delight! We went to a mall north of the city and let them play video games in a place much like Chuck-E-Cheese. It's called "Crazy Park". They had a blast! We then ate lunch and headed to another mall nearby with an ice-skating rink in it. Anya & Nastya don't know how to skate, but really improved in the hour they were on the ice. Jack and I opted out of ice-skating - deciding that trip to the emergency room with a broken arm wouldn't be a great idea! We fed the kids dinner & then ate Baskin Robbins ice cream (with sprinkles) and then took them back to the orphanage. We had a lot of good conversation in the car with Anya about the adoption and about scary things her teachers and others have told her. She said one of her teachers told her we were only adopting her to get a tax deduction. Another person said it was so we could sell her organs when she grows up. She also tested us by asking "what if I say NO in the court on Monday - would it hurt your feelings?" We told her that we would be devastated because we love her so much and she is already a part of our family. She said "just kidding" and I really think she just wanted to hear us say that we would be upset if we couldn't adopt her. She then asked some questions about her not being "born to us" and if that mattered and we explained that God brought her into our family and she has been born in our hearts and we will love her just the same as Faith & Caleb - it makes no difference that she is adopted. When asked if she would love us as her parents she said "NO".... when the translator asked her why, she said "because my parents were bad people" and the interpreter explained that she was asking if she would love us like a mom & dad (not her biological parents) and Anya said "YES".
It's been an emotional, but extremely fun and happy day. Little Nastya is very sweet & pleasant and enjoyed spending time with us. She is very small for her age and everyone in the orphanage adores her.
Well, we've got to get to bed! Hopefully we can post in more detail tomorrow, but we tired - a good tired and need to rest up for tomorrow. We will be going to the movies and to play video games, I think. Thank you all for your prayers! Today couldn't have gone any better!
Christmas hosting
-
For anyone following this blog but not our family mission blog, you can
read all about our time with Sergeis during our mission trip to Latvia at
www.thehe...
16 years ago









1 comment:
I loved all you pictures! Thank you for sharing them with all of us. Our first adoption was filled with so many of the same experiences, excitement, frustration, love, fun, etc. All of the girls look fantastic as well. Anya is probably bursting at the seams to be home with her family.
The little girl Nastya is so adorable. I wonder if she was considered for hosting. I can't believe I would even think about adoption again while in the middle of trying to get Igor home, but I would love to have a little girl in our family as well. We should ask LeAnn about hosting her.
God Bless and Prayers for speed, safety, grace.
Hugs,
Tammy
Post a Comment